Friday, March 20, 2009

hose flavored Gatorade (a rerun)

Sounds pretty ridicules, doesn't it? I'm in my 50's and was raised just outside of Milwaukee (literally within 5 blocks). We'd run around outside in the summer, be hot, sweaty and dehydrated and we didn't have Gatorade and seldom would bother to go inside for a drink. Instead we turned on the nearest hose, let it run for a minute, then drank from it. We drank long and deep and nothing was so refreshing as that slightly funny tasting water from a hose. It had the extra benefit of easily dousing our face and head, cooling us off so we could run back out and get hot and sweaty all over again. Most of us probaly drank out of a hose when we were young and never worried about it not being purified, fortified, or avertised.

Sometimes I miss those simpler times.

1 comments:

Dewfus March 22, 2009 at 9:50 AM  

reminds me of when, as a child, we would be travelling and stop at a roadside gas station. I would be so excited because I knew those old soda machines with the glass bottles held the best sodas in the world. The glass bottle with about an inch of slushy ice on the top. Nothing could ever top that.
The other thing it reminded me of would be when we were kids and running around our property, the hundred or so acres of property. There would be flowing streams and the water would always be cold and we would always dring from it. Usually when it was around a fall with larger rocks that had moss on them, (someone said the moss worked as a great filter.) I can imagine what health officials would say about drinking that water now, especially realizing they were around claypit mines. Oh well, I didnt die and I think I am pretty healthy.