Friday, April 10, 2009

Tasteless Tomato

I was eating a BLT (without the T) and thought that a nice slice of tomato would taste good. It's been a long time since I've bought one. Then I remembered that they're just a waste of money. Tomatoes taste nothing like they used to 25-30 years ago. They used to be firm and bursting with flavor. Now they're mushy and tasteless. It's sad that humans distroy most of what they touch, attempting to improve it or simply make more money. It's bad enough when every man-made product has to be changed or improved like laundry detergent but they have to play God and mess around with nature. Nature would take care of itself if there weren't any humans around.

Here's a recent fuck-up...Africanized honey bees. "Duh, let's cross breed some bees and make the honey bee super aggresive so it'll make more honey and we'll make more money." Hello! Are these people scientists? Are they stupid? Did they really think they could contain a tiny aggressive flying creature? Oops, some got out. Now they've upsetting the insect world which affects the birds...and so on. I trailed far from my BLT (it is called "Ramblings...").

Ok the tomatoes.... and cucumbers. Come to think of it, I don't remember the last time I had a decent watermelon. Remember when fruits and veggies were available 'in' season only. Now we have to either import them or grow them faster (hurry, hurry let's make some more money). I don't need strawberries in December. I'd rather have them RIPE and in their prime growing season...locally, well at least within the region (Midwest, Northeast, etc.) Having them in winter means they're picked before they're ripe so that they won't spoil on their way from South America to my refridgerator.

Well, I'm done bitching for now. Guess I'll get back to my tomato-less BLT.

2 comments:

shane April 11, 2009 at 1:07 PM  

Maybe one of the problems is when they try to make produce bigger or increase the yield, the amount of flavor stays the same but gets spread throughout more produce watering down the flavor in each. This is just a wild guess since I know nothing about botany or agriscience or even have a clue.

Dewfus April 11, 2009 at 4:52 PM  

Its more of the fact that they harvest most produce prior to being ripe and it unnaturally ripens as it is in transport in some shipping container. Most produce gets its flavor from the area it is grown in and nutrients it is supplied with, especially the nutrients it receives in the final natural ripening process. Best produce I ever consumed was grown on our farm, watered with unfiltered well water (that had actual fish living in the water...yes, we could see them), and fertilized with fresh cow manure from our barn. I can imagine what they would say about that now....OMG....contaminated well water and the exposure to E-coli contamination.....hmmmm...we grew it, sold it at the roadside stand, froze it, canned it, and ate it.